The Cathedral Of The Sacred Heart is a Roman Catholic cathedral belonging to the Latin Rite and one of the oldest church buildings in New Delhi, India. Together with St. Columba's School, and the Convent of Jesus and Mary school, it occupies a total area of 14 acres near the south end of Bhai Vir Singh Marg Road in Connaught Place. Christian religious services are held throughout the year.HistoryFather Luke, a member of the Franciscan first order, founded by St. Francis of Assisi, took the initiative to build the church, and the Archbishop of Agra in 1929 Rev. Dr. E. Vanni laid the foundation stone in 1929 and construction began in 1930. Sir Anthony de Mello donated the main Altar of the Church, which is made of pure marble. The Archbishop of Agra presented a bell, vestments and altar furniture. The project was financed by the colonial officers of the British Empire.ArchitectureThe church building was designed by British architect Henry Medd, and is based on Italian architecture. A facade of white pillars supports the canopy, and on each side of the cathedral's entrance porch, there are circular arcaded turrets rising above the roof. The interior has a towering curved roof, polished stone floors and broad arches.