The Ramnagar Fort is a fortification in Ramnagar, Varanasi, India. It is located near the Ganga River on its eastern bank, opposite to the Tulsi Ghat. The sandstone structure was built in the Mughal style in 1750 by Kashi Naresh Raja Balwant Singh. At present, the fort is not in a good shape. It has been the home of Kashi Naresh since the eighteenth century. The current king and the resident of the fort is VIBUTHI NARAIN SINGH, who is also known as the Maharaja of Varanasi even though this royal title has been abolished since 1971.GeographyThe fort is at a scenic location on the eastern right bank of the Ganges River, opposite to the Varanasi Ghats. It is from Varanasi and from the Benares Hindu University by pontoon. The pontoon bridge, which provides access to the fort, has rickety planks. During the monsoon season, the fort is accessible across the river by ferry service only. Boat ride to the fort from Dashashwamedh Ghat in Varanasi takes about an hour. A painted state barge with a twin emblems in the form of horses could be seen moored to the landing stage. There is a well laid out garden within the fort which forms the approach to the palace.