Mughalsarai Junction railway station is an Indian Railways railway station in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is the fourth busiest railway junction in India. The station contains the largest railway marshaling yard in Asia.HistoryThe East Indian Railway Company started connecting Delhi and Howrah from the mid nineteenth century. In 1862, the railway tracks crossed Mughalsarai and reached the western bank of the Yamuna. The through link to Delhi was established in 1866. The Grand Chord was commissioned in 1906.The Dufferin Bridge across the Ganges was opened in 1887, connecting Mughalsarai to Varanasi.ElectrificationThe Gaya-Mughalsarai sector was electrified in 1961-63. Mughalsarai yard was electrified in 1963-65.Marshalling yardMughalsarai marshalling yard is the largest in Asia. It is 12.5 km long and handles around 1, 500 wagons daily. Wagon handling has come down after the railways discontinued piecemeal loading. At its peak, it handled 5,000 wagons a day.Sheds and workshopsMughal Sarai diesel loco shed is home to WDM-2, WDM-3A and WDS-5 diesel locos. There was a Northern Railway diesel loco shed at Mughalsarai. It was decommissioned in 2001. Mughalsarai electric loco shed can hold more than 150 electric locos. Amongst them are WAM-4, WAP-4 and more than 70 WAG-7 locos. Kanpur Central electric loco shed accommodates WAP-4 and WAG-7 electric locos.