College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences is a veterinary college located at Mannuthy, Thrissur city of Kerala. The college is affiliated to Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University.HistoryThe college came into existence in 1955 as Government Veterinary College. The college was inaugurated by then Chief Minister E. M. S. Namboodiripad. Initially, the college was affiliated to Kerala University and subsequently to Calicut University in 1966. It was later renamed as the Kerala Veterinary College and Research Institute for a short period. When the Kerala Agricultural University was formed in February 1972, the college was transferred to it and was renamed again as the College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences.\On 12 June 2010 a new university exclusively for veterinary science came into existence.The Ordinance that was passed by the Left Democratic Front government on that day to set up a veterinary university on the campus of the College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Pookode, near Vythiri, in Wayanad district gives fresh hope to the residents, especially the dairy farmers in the hilly district.According to the Ordinance, the proposed university would have the jurisdiction of the entire State.The Mannuthy Veterinary College and its 400 acres of campus, the Pookode Veterinary College and its 90 acres of campus, the veterinary clinical complex of the Pookode Veterinary College, College of Dairy Science Technology, Mannuthy, Livestock Research Station in Palakkad and its 400 acres of campus, dairy farm at Kolahalamedu in Idukki, various farms in Mannuthy, the cattle infertility centre in Kozhikode and the Veterinary Hospital in Thrissur, cattle breeding farm at Thumboormuzhy, is handed over to the university.Now the Government of Kerala established nation's first exclusive hospital for elephants in the campus.