Ayub Medical College is a leading public medical institute located in Abbottabad, Pakistan. It is one of several medical colleges affiliated to Khyber Medical University. AMC is home to 1500 students in the MBBS and BDS programs, with clinical rotations occurring at Ayub Teaching Hospital. Faculty members hold appointments at basic sciences and clinical departments. There are 212 full-time faculty members consisting of lecturers, assistant professors, associate professors and professors at AMC.HistoryIn the late 1960s, a government study concluded that more medical colleges were needed in Pakistan to improve medical education, research and healthcare in the country. In particular, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa was in dire need of health reforms - a decision was thus made in 1972 to construct another medical college outside of the Peshawar region. In 1975, four cities were shortlisted for the site of the new college; Abbottabad, Dera Ismail Khan, Mingora and Chitral. A decision was made in 1978 to build the new college in Abbottabad and on 9 May 1979, Ayub Medical College was established. The first batch consisted of 100 students (class of 1984) were accommodated at the Education Extension Centre, while the present college campus and teaching hospital were being constructed north of the town. On 30 December 1990, the new campus opened its doors to students and faculty. Abbottabad District Headquarters Hospital remained affiliated to Ayub Medical College upon the opening of Ayub Teaching Hospital in 1998. AMC was named after former President Ayub Khan, who hailed from nearby Haripur. The first principal of AMC was Dr. Abdul Jamil Khan. Today AMC hosts one of the largest medical college campuses in Pakistan.